Saturday, June 30, 2007

Thoughts on rising dough...

This post is only partially about bread. I'm typing it as my third run at Joe Ortiz's Pain de Campagne sur poolish from The Village Baker is having it's final proof in a banneton. This one got similar treatment as the last loaf...all day chill of the poolish in the fridge. I'm using Gold Medal's Harvest King bread flour. The dough behaves much differently than either of the last two times. It's got more body - I also noted greater gas bubbles in this one when I was doing the folding. But enough about this bread dough...



I was thinking last night (another date night for the loving wife and I) about how we sometimes mistake the better or best of simplicity for the good of complicated or un-simple. I had these rather wild imaginings of ratatouille and roast chicken. We wound up with mushroom omelets, grits, and sausage. I don't think the meal could have been more perfect - soul satisfying and conversation stopping. They were also some of the most perfect omelets I've ever made...the egg was not brown on the outside, they were perfectly set, the fold even worked mostly right. I kept the grits simple - butter, salt, and pepper. The sausage were a frozen patty that we like. I continue to find the simple solutions in life and the simple ways are the best. The more work I do in gardening and cooking and baking the better my perspective is on life (though after kneading several pounds of bread dough it's very difficult to have a bad perspective...you're thoroughly rung out...you want a nap and new arms) and my relationship with my wife. To any new readers - I get philosophical late at night when I'm tired and have a long road still to travel.

The bread is in the oven now...pics to follow later.

No comments: