Wednesday, June 27, 2007

IMBB Apron Edition

This post is written as an entry for the Lucullian Delights IMBB Apron event.
http://lucullian.blogspot.com/2007/06/show-us-your-apron.html

This is my favorite apron. I acquired it a few years ago when my grandmother and I went on one of our adventures together. We drove to Greenville, South Carolina to visit Foxfire Kitchens together. It was quite a trip - we got lost along the way stopping at Furman University to call for directions (which turned out to be a stone's thrown from the store). My grandmother was my favorite culinary guinea pig. She was widowed and didn't cook much for herself. She lived vicariously through my cooking (sometimes it was an adventure and some times an experience) and was the greatest sous chef anyone could ever ask for. I bought the apron because it reminded me of the English shopkeepers and the navy blue and white stripe one they wear. I put this on in my kitchen and always remember the fun my grandmother and I shared in her kitchen. She passed a little over a year ago and my loving wife has taken her place as guinea pig - but no one can fill the place for culinary adventurer like my grandmother did.
















4 comments:

Ilva said...

Thank you for participating! What a nice hommage to your grandmother!

ostwestwind said...

I don't have any aprons and :-).

Belinda said...

I love the apron, and even more, the special remembrance it represents of the happy days spent with your grandmother.

Dayna said...

Such a great story. There's something about grandmothers and food that help take my great hesitance from aging.