Friday, July 20, 2007

Right...back to work now...










It's been a couple of days since I've posted...been a long week at the office. But it has not been a week without it's successes. The snaps above are from the first real sourdough/pain au levain success I've ever had. I grew my own starter...wheat, white, and a touch of rye just for that little something extra. It was worth losing sleep (seriously folks...this isn't just a figure of speech) over. Look closely at the second pic...3:59 AM...yes I went back to sleep...got up again at 5:30 and got my normal day underway. The response from one of the other bakers on http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ when I asked if anyone else did this sort of thing was "You've been bitten by the "You know you're a bread baker when..." bug". I like that answer. I'm proud of this loaf...it isn't perfect and it is short of what I envisioned texturewise. Tastewise is another matter...there isn't much left of it now...I've mentioned before that my wife isn't a fan of crusty bread...she loves this...crust and all. It's got a natural tang and the wheat flavor shines nicely. I've got a couple of adjustments to make on the next run of this one and I think I'll have it. Thanks to the bakers at the fresh loaf for all the great information and the encouragement you provide by showing us all what's baking in your kitchens. Hopefully more to follow this weekend...I'd like to make jam, butter, and granola...depends....










No comments: